The department was established in the year 2010 and it runs a Higher National Diploma (HND) programme in Secretaryship and Management Studies. With an initial student population of 24 students (made up of 17-morning session students and 7 evening students), the department through quality teaching and learning has managed to increase its student’s population.
The department has gone through a lot of transformation and now runs Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech.) in Secretaryship and Management Studies and Higher National Diploma in Secretaryship and Management Studies for Morning, Evening and Weekend Sessions. There is an ultra-modern computer Laboratory to give a simulation of the work environment and for the practical training of our students.
The Department is headed by Mr. Evans Agalega
Training individuals to become Top-class Professional Administrators and Secretaries with the zeal for continuous improvement for organizational effectiveness and growth in Ghana and beyond.
The mission of the Department is to provide an enviable training for positioning adaptable Secretaries and Administrators with specialization in modern Secretaryship and Management Skill to meet the growing demands for professionals in both profit making and non-profit making organizations.
To achieve its vision and mission, the department adheres to the core values of the University and the Faculty of Business and Management Studies.
- Integrity– to uphold the highest standards and do the things right
- Professionalism– to exhibit good character without compromising
- Academic Freedom– to enhance students’ opinion and enhance student-student and lecturer relationship.
- Creativity– to be proactive in providing solutions in challenging situations
- Teamwork – to admonish unity and collectiveness to achieve objectives.
The objectives of the department are:
- To equip students with communication and social skills to enable them to run a modern office smoothly
- To develop in students high level of secretarial skills to enable them to perform major office task handle and adapt to major office tasks using information communication technology
- To inculcate in students, initiative and decision-making skills in office management and administration in business practice.
- To equip students with a working knowledge of quantitative techniques to enhance their understanding of computer-based analysis of information.
- To provide students with a working knowledge and skills of office computers for the application of secretarial tasks.
- To educate students to understand and apply general principles of law in the context of everyday business activity and commercial practice.
- Help students set up their own businesses.
The department currently runs programmes in
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech.) in Secretaryship and Management Studies and
- Higher National Diploma in Secretaryship and Management Studies
for Morning, Evening and Weekend Sessions.
The Department has initiated research groups among lecturers to embark on research that will address national needs.