The Department of Marketing was started in March 1997 as one of the two pioneer Departments with which the then Koforidua Polytechnic (now Koforidua Technical University) was started. It is currently one of the Six (6) Departments of the Faculty of Business and Management Studies. It was accredited by the National Accreditation Board a year after its inception.
The Department is headed by Dr Samuel Addae-Boateng.
The mission of the Department is to contribute towards national development by providing excellent and relevant career-focused education and training of marketing personnel, with specialisation in customer care skills, industrial marketing, public relations, etc. to meet the growing demand for marketing professionals in both for-profit and not-for-profit entities and to offer quality consultancy services in Marketing to these entities.
The Department seeks to equip students with competencies (entrepreneurial, technical, and managerial skills) that would satisfy the marketing demands of both the Public and Private Sectors (both in Ghana and abroad) and become a reference point for solutions to marketing-related problems in Ghana and beyond.
The objectives of the Department include:
- Encouraging students to develop their potentials to be among the best Marketers in the country and wherever they find themselves.
- Equipping students with current developments and innovations in the field of Marketing.
- Linking up with Industry to develop Curricula and offering training that meets the needs of the Community and fits into the National Agenda.
- Publicising the Marketing programmes and creating awareness about their potential to the general public.
- Linking up with Marketing Professional bodies such as the Chartered Institute of Marketing (Ghana and UK) and the American Marketing Association for the introduction of professional marketing programmes.
Currently, the Department of Marketing offers Courses in B-Tech Marketing and HND Marketing.
The HND Marketing Programme has a three-year duration and students are trained in various courses leading to the award of the Higher National Diploma (HND) Certificate in Marketing.
The Bachelor of Technology (B-Tech) Marketing Programme has 18-month duration and is meant for students who have completed their HND in Marketing who wish to upgrade to the Bachelor Level. Students are trained in various courses meant to be a top-up of the Higher National Diploma (HND) Certificate in Marketing.